Friday, May 15, 2009

DAN HOLDSWORTH

I’m often quite interested in dislocating the image from the place. I’m not so interested in where it's located. What I’m interested in is a psychological landscape.’

-Dan Holdsworth

Holdsworth has been one of my favourite photographers for some time, his use of light over time creates something alien out of the every-day. The images are so striking and futuristic that it is almost impossible to believe, he pushes all dimensions of photography. The thing that captures me most about his photography is his ability to take something so banal and to transform it so much that it is almost other-worldly, something that causes you to gaze in awe and wonder at what fantastic new found technology created such a thing - the camera. It is this element of his work most inspires me in what I wish to achieve in my own work.

All photos featured are from the series 'A Machine For Living'.

Untitled 2000 © Dan Holdsworth


Untitled 1999 © Dan Holdsworth


Untitled 1999 © Dan Holdsworth


Untitled 2000 © Dan Holdsworth

'The title of Holdsworth’s series is a reference to the modernist architect Le Corbusier (1887-1965). In his book Towards a New Architecture, 1923, Le Corbusier famously proclaimed that ‘a house is a machine for living in’. Holdsworth’s image is an ironic comment on Le Corbusier’s utopian ideal.'

- Rachel Taylor for The Tate,November 2003

Bluewater in this light is surreal or reminiscent of some sort of empty of human life or perhaps even a sanctuary from the aftermath.

(I have seen the place pictured above at the top (Bluewater Shopping Centre) and believe me when I say ... it does not look like that in any sense!)

More of his work can be found at:
www.danholdsworth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment